Do overworked Doctors need appraisal the most ?
4 November 2018
Dr Sue Warren
It has been shown that doctors have a higher rate of burnout and increased suicide rate than the general population. Doctors today face much stress, regulation and culture of complaints. They are not staying the profession which is causing a countrywide shortage of GPs. This has important implications for the functioning of the NHS exacerbated further by a high increase in workload and patient consultations which are up 13%.
The key findings from the survey were:
- 90% reported some level of burnout
- 88% stated that their mental and physical health had been affected by their work
- 42% considered the appraisal meeting to be useful personally
- 30% reported that they had a poor work-life balance
- 60% would discuss issues with burnout at the time of appraisal
- 67% considered appraisal discussion as good use of their time?